Head and neck pains may cause you to be less active, less productive, become irritable, lack sleep and have poor mental health. But, you are not alone! Around 190,000 Brits suffer from migraines daily, yet most just mask the pain with painkillers. It may be found that a neck injury or a spine misalignment may be causing your head and neck pain, whereby a simple adjustment can help. Call us at 01234 353937 for more info/advice or to book a consultation. Receive a FREE treatment if you book today!
Causes of head and neck pain
There are over 150 types of headaches, but the most common are tension headaches, migraines and cluster headaches (which are the most severe). So here are a few factors affecting headaches, migraines and neck pain:
- Food, environment, stimuli such as loud noises, lights, stress, caffeine, lack of vitamins.
- Behavioural influences such as lack of sleep, excessive exercising, a fall, dehydration, menstrual cycle.
- Muscle tension in the neck, due to poor posture, a sedentary lifestyle, a strain or “tech neck”.
- Misalignments in the neck and spine
- A sharp, sudden movement of the neck.
- Sports injury
- Poor eyesight
- Whiplash during an accident
- An Temporomandibular joint injury thus causing limited motion of the jaw
Symptoms of head and neck pain/injuries
The following symptoms may be experienced for a few hours or even a few days. Please seek immediate medical attention if these symptoms last longer than 3 days. You may be experiencing the following if you are suffering from a headache or migraine:
- Mild to moderate dull pain shifting from either side of the head
- Sensitivity to light, noise and smells
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Blurred vision
- Unable to sleep
You may experience the following symptoms if you are suffering from a neck injury or pain:
- Pain, tenderness and stiffness in the neck
- Numbness or tingling in arms
- Decreased ability to move your head
- Headaches and migraines
What is tech neck?
The prevalence of technology in our daily lives is shaping our lives and bodies in unexpected and alarming ways. “Tech neck” is a repetitive stress injury caused when holding your head in a forward/downward position for extended periods of time. It has been found that “horn-like” spurs can form when pressure has been exerted on the spine and neck over-time from incorrect posture when using our devices.
How can chiropractic help you?
Headaches and migraines can be caused by tension, an injury or a misalignment in the neck or back. So, here at the Bedford Chiropractic Clinic, we aim to identify the cause of your migraine and headaches, whilst treating and preventing the cause. A simple adjustment via safe and gentle physical manipulations can realign the spine and neck, also releasing tension. Also, there are particular trigger points within the back, shoulder, neck and head which we can manipulate to release tension. We will carry out posture scans to highlight areas of high muscle tension and misalignments, for us to work on.
Furthermore, we’ll also provide light neck and back exercises/stretches and essential vitamins you may be lacking can be purchased from us. We have over 20+ years experience treating patients with headaches and migraines, so we are confident we can ease symptoms and promote normal function of the neck and spine.