Kinesio Taping at the Bedford Chiropractic Clinic
What is Kinesio Taping?
Kinesio taping is a rehabilitative taping method, used during the body’s natural healing process. It provides support & stability to muscles & joints without restricting movement. It is a great addition to a sports or deep tissue massage.
This method involves the application of a thin, stretchy & cotton-based therapeutic tape. It can benefit an array of musculoskeletal injuries & inflammatory conditions. This tape almost imitates your actual skin to avoid restricting your movement.
How is it Different from Conventional Strapping Tape?
Firstly, most types of strapping tape are non-elastic & are wrapped firmly around an injured joint or muscle. This provides rigid support & restricts movement. However, kinesio taping provides dynamic support, acting as a second layer of support (second to your skin) to help assist weaker muscles. Also, this taping method can potentially guide your movement correctly, to prevent an injury for example, whilst you stay active.
What are the Benefits?
There are a broad range of benefits including:
- Pain Relief – Relieves pain due to the lifting action of the kinesio taping. Therefore, it may help reduce pressure on pain receptors directly under the skin & provide pain relief for chronic pain over time.
- Reduce Swelling – By lifting the skin, the lymphatic drainage channels can drain swelling & other inflammatory cells away from the injured area. It can also encourage better blood flow.
- Assist Weak and/or Injured Muscles – May provide support for muscles. Helps assist you with daily & sporting activities. Can encourage the correct movement of your joints, realign the joint tissues & muscles to help recover from an injury or to prevent one from occurring.
- Lets You Keep On Training – As you begin to recover from an injury, kinesio taping can allow you to train, work out & get on daily activities quicker. This is unlike traditional taping methods that restrict movement.
Kinesio Taping at the Bedford Chiropractic Clinic & How to Book
Paulina Andrzejewska, our amazing physical therapist, uses this taping method alongside a sports or deep tissue massage. Therefore, if it is felt that this taping method will be beneficial to you & your condition, then this will be applied during your massage. Paulina’s main aims are:
- Rehabilitate an injury & aid in injury recovery
- Prevent an injury from occurring or reoccuring
- Improve your performance
- Relieve muscle pain & tension
A mixture of techniques will be used to ensure these aims are met at the Bedford Chiropractic Clinic.
We’re here to help!