Wrist pain is often caused by sprains or fractures from sudden injuries and falls, but wrist pains can also result from long-terms issues, such as repetitive stress, arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome. Here at the Bedford Chiropractic Clinic, we aim to diagnose the problem to treat and prevent wrist injuries and pain. Give us a call at 01234 353937 to ask for more info/advice or book a consultation. If you book with us today we’ll give you 1 FREE treatment.
Wrist sprain is injury of the wrist ligaments, tendons or muscles as a result of of overexertion and impact injuries. These are particularly common. If there are any protruding bones then please seek medical attention immediately.
Any activity involving a repetitive wrist motion such as hitting a tennis ball can inflame the tissues around joints.
Osteoarthritis typically occurs when the cartilage cushioning the ends of your bones eventually deteriorate, influenced by a previous wrist injury. Rheumatoid arthritis is a disorder in which your body’s immune system attacks its own tissues and often occurs both wrists.
Carpal tunnel syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is caused by pressure on the median nerve just above the wrist. This pressure on this nerve can be caused by an injury or from activities such as typing or hammering. Symptoms of CTS range from wrist pain, numbness, tingling, burning and weakness to loss of grip strength.
Additional risk factors include sports that particularly involve repetitive stress on the wrist e.g. golf, bowling and repetitive work such as hair cutting. Certain diseases or conditions such as diabetes and gout can increase the risk of developing carpal tunnel syndrome.
Symptoms of wrist injuries
- Tingling sensation that worsens at night
- Swollen fingers
- swelling or redness around wrist
- warmth in a joint near the wrist
- sudden, sharp pain in hands
- Unable to move wrist or make a fist
We suggest you seek immediate medical attention if your wrist is warm/red and if you have a fever over 37.8°C. Also seek medical attention if you suspect a broken or dislocated wrist.
How chiropractic can help wrist injuries
After a thorough body examination and a discussion of your medical history, we can treat the cause of your wrist pain. However, we may find that surrounding joints and muscles are causing wrist pain which we can identify and treat. We carry out simple and gentle physical manipulations to realign joints and relieve pain. Our techniques are non-invasive, drug-free and are tailored to your needs. We apply cold compresses after your treatment, also offering exercises and stretches that may help maintain mobility without further damage. By realigning your wrist, we can relieve pressure which may be causing you pain.
Prevention of wrist injuries
Often it is impossible to prevent unforeseen events that cause wrist injuries such as a fall but here are some tips we recommend:
- Build bone strength. Increase your calcium intake to prevent fractures and broken wrists.
- Prevent the risk of falling. By wear sensible shoes and remove trip hazards such as trailing wires you can prevent the risk of falling. Keep your living space well lit and install grab bars in your bathroom and handrails on your staircases.
- Use protective gear for athletic activities. Therefore, wearing wrist guards or supports during activities such as tennis and golf, you can prevent wrist strains. Avoid full press-ups.
- If you spend long periods at a keyboard or writing, then take regular breaks. Whilst typing, keep your wrists relaxed and invest in a foam or gel wrist supports, keyboards and mouse pads.
- Frequently gently rotate your wrists to promote blood circulation and wrist mobility.
- Frequent chiropractic adjustments